PROVIDE SUPPORT FOR PORT AUTOMATION PROJECT
The Namibia Ports Authority has been operating since 1994 in Namibia as the National Port Authority. Namport also manages the Port of Walvis Bay and the Port of Lüderitz.
One of the Port’s strategic objectives is to be a highly competitive port within the South African Development Community.
To achieve the set strategic objectives, Namport has initiated two projects, the Port Expansion Project (PEP) and the Port Automation Project (PAP).
Namport has initiated the PEP to develop a new container terminal with the increase of global shipping. On the other hand, PAP was initiated with the intent to increase visibility and control across operations, and to enhance operational reliability, efficiency, productivity and safety.
This will be adopted through the application of various technologies, automated processes and equipment throughout the Port.
Namport asked Solid Port Solutions to support with the PAP project.
The PAP started with an enterprise process study to highlight inefficiencies from the current processes at Namport. The next phase included the definition of (automated) requirements that would serve to resolve the inefficiencies identified from the study.
The key outcomes for improvement included changes to, and additions to:
- current processes;
- the introduction of automated technologies;
- the organizational structure and procedures.
Client: Namibian Port Authority
Year of execution of project: 2015 - 2016
Specialisms involved for this project:
Business Process Modelling
Technical Specifications Review
Definition of Terminal Requirements
Port Special Systems
Development of Terminal Layout Plans
Solid Port Solutions prepared the following documents and services:
- Functional specification for Gate Automation;
- Functional specification for a Zero Error System;
- Functional specification for a General Cargo Terminal Operating System;
- Specifications for the upgrade of the ICT system;
- Plan for the upgrade of the NAVIS container Terminal Operating System;
- Creation and reviewing of the tender document;
- Evaluating the submitted tender documents;
- Design of all business processes via business process models;
- Development of a new gate design;
- Project Management.